Thursday, August 4, 2011

Relearning 12 Spiritual Disciplines Week 3: Meditation Part 3

I am a week behind, but I had some issues this week, I'll get back on track.
Okay, I have my first major problem with this book.  "Do not be concerned, as you read the following selection on contemplation about arriving at precise definitions of "meditation" and "contemplation".  Recognize that different teachers and writers define these terms in different ways. Our concern here is not to study prayer, but to practice it."  P17  I understand that not all teachers agree on definitions, but this is a study on meditative prayer, and as an editor I feel that one single definition should be discussed, not just for continuity's sake but also to reduce confusion.
That being said the study itself was very helpful.  First off Thomas Merton, in this reading selection does a very good job as an apologist for mysticism, he brings contemplation down to earth (so to speak) and makes it very attainable.  Merton describes infused contemplation as a "deep and intimate knowledge of God by union of love". Merton  points out that contemplation is an act of the Holy Spirit working in our souls "through His gifts of Wisdom and Understanding"  Entering in to Infused Contemplation came at a price though it is the price of our worldly desires.  We must give up what we desire most in this world to truly enter into a deeper relationship wit Him.  Our hearts must belong to Him.
Merton says that everyone should desire and ask for gift.  I never really thought of asking for the gift of contemplation, communing with God.  I just thought it was something that you did, but it makes sense to me that one should seek for and desire a deeper relationship with God.
One is small point of contestation with Merton in his writing.  He says that the gifts of the spirit are given at baptism.  I believe from my study that the gifts are give at conversion.  Other than that, I believe that, Merton does a great job of explaining contemplation in a very simple way.

No comments:

Post a Comment