Friday, July 8, 2011

Rob Bell Part 2

I just want to say something to people who think that not reading one of Rob Bells books means that I may have a different opinion of him.  My opinion of him was pretty much solidified after reading.  Velvet Elvis, this new book just furthers my opinion of the man.  When he says "This love compels us to question some of the dominate stories that are being told as the Jesus story.  A staggering number of people have been taught that a select few Christians will spend forever in a peaceful, joyous place called heaven, while the rest of humanity spend forever in torment and punishment in hell with no chance for anything better.  It has clearly been communicated to many that this belief is a central truth to the Christian faith and to reject it, is in essence, to reject Jesus.  This is misguided and toxic and ultimately subverts the contagious spread of Jesus message of love, peace, forgiveness, and joy that our world desperately need to hear."  Those are his own words people.  Now as I read and study the Bible as a whole it is pretty clear that a "select" few will enter heaven while the rest of humanity will  spent the rest of eternity in torment.
One other thing that he says that I am in total disagreement with is "I believe the discussion itself is divine."  Discussion or debate for the sake of it is a usles endeavor, there has to be an end game.  A point you get to that closes the discussion.  This may not be possible in the Church as a whole but personally there must (sometimes after much intellectual and spiritual struggle) be a answer to the questions of faith. I myself have struggled with and sometimes still struggle with how a loving God can leave people to eternal punishment.  I always come back to the same conclusion:  God is loving, but he is also just and righteous, A just and righteous God must punish humanity for it's sins,  but this God has also prepared a road to grace, the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  John 3:16-21 explains the entire process, these are the words of Christ.
Just one more note I am a proud Calvinist.  This discussion has truly made me more of a one and is teaching me to defend what I believe.  While I disagree with Rob Bell on a lot (not all) of what he says, he has opened the Christian debate up to many non Christians and offered many in roads that were not previously there for Christians.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said! It is awesome to see you be able to defend your beliefs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, love everything you've written this last week. All, so well said!

    ReplyDelete